Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Public Spaces

Oddly enough, I didn’t much understand the “Shopping for Pleasure” essay. I’m not really sure why, but I couldn’t grasp on to what the essay was really trying to say. I did however understand and also like the essay “Woodruff Park and the Search for Common Ground”. I loved the fact that Murphy Davis founded the Open Door Community. It is a very selfless thing that he did and it is a great example to show us how we can help others in the public spaces of our own communities. On the flip side, if you are trying to decrease the number of homeless people in a public space, it’s probably not the best idea to feed them and give them clothing there, because they will stick around or come back for more.
“Cell Phone Etiquette: Shut up, Already” is soooo true. After reading this essay, I looked to see how many people where on their phones as I was walking to class, I counted approximately fifteen out of probably twenty people that I passed. Being outside on campus isn’t a huge risky public space where you could interrupt someone by talking on your cell phone, but as soon as you step into a class room as public space, your conversation to the person on the other end of the phone, has become everyone else’s business as well in the class. Overall, everyone uses cell phones and other than the few people who feel they much scream to the person that’s on the phone, I never feel a problem with people using their phones in public spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment